A Guide to Preventing and Understanding School Violence, and Surviving an Active Shooter
This curriculum is designed to get administrators, staff, teachers and even students of public and private schools, to start or enhance current discussions about School/Youth Violence, and encourage interested community members to start taking proactive steps and work on a plan to prevent School/Youth Violence.
This course goes the extra step to discuss in detail actions that school personnel and affected students should take if they are ever confronted with an School/Active Shooter situation.
We take an in-depth look at 4 areas of concern that collectively intermingle and can be the tipping point of pushing a student to lethal violence. This course is not a “profile” of a potential school shooter or a checklist of danger signs pointing to the next adolescent that would bring lethal violence to a school.
The course emphasizes the importance of conducting an objective Threat Analysis. Discipline Policy and the idea of “Zero Tolerance” is an additional key concept discussed.
Course Objectives include:
- Develop an understanding of school violence, why it happens and how it can be prevented.
- Discuss current trends, myths and history of school violence and shootings.
- Describe actions to take when confronted with a school shooter.
- Describe what to do regarding responding law enforcement officials.
- Describe how to manage the consequences of a school shooter incident.
ORI will work with local law enforcement to ensure course compatibility with local procedures.